Tuesday 14 January 2014

01/11 to 01/11 - Prelude

The name is George. Born 1987. Brazilian. Love for film.

My story with cinema is no different from the man on the street. Grew up watching them in a linear proportion that always accompanied my age and maturity, to a certain extent. Cartoons and Disney classics as a child, action films and blockbusters as a teenager, and all sorts of films as an early adult to this day.

Favourite genre for films? Heh, the ones that have got no genre. Those are the ones that transcend the taste discussion more often than not.

Finished undergraduation (in English languange and literature) in 2010, finished MA in Literary and Film Studies last year, starting my Doctorate in the same area in 2014. Can't say that I'm not passionate for the thing for no reason.

However, something here needs a reason. The begetting of this blog. Talking to my girlfriend two nights ago while watching some films, I realised that watching the same number of films as the days of a year would be a great idea to get my - our - knowledge catalog vaster. She agreed, and we got all the hype that always comes out of a fresh idea for creative writing, thinking, whatnot. It was only a sketch of an idea, really. As we woke up, during a beautiful brunch she had made us, I had the idea of setting up yet another blog for myself. Soup, sandwiches, orange juice and Earl Grey can make one get insights, after all.

Starting another blog... that's a tough endeavour, considering the handful of them I've left behind thus far. I like to believe this one is for good.

So, watching 365 films in the timespan of 11 Jan 2014 to 11 Jan 2015. That's my goal. And criticise them in a brief paragraph. And give them marks regarding basic aspects of filmmaking/organisation.
I'll finally pay my respects to my repertoire of films watched to this day and start a casual blog-style catalog of my thoughts on some of them. I can't wait.

This shall also shorten my "Bloody hell, I've never watched that film that everybody's watched, even though I'm a film student, in theory!" list.

Well, I believe that's all there is to it for now. I'll start writing critiques up later today. It's 04:27 AM and I've gotta have some respect for my own sleep before I can have respect for the film medium.

Good night, and good luck (to me and Jéssica).


P.S.: The title of the blog (more specifically, the word Jēran) comes from the Old Germanic root for the word YearNo, not original, not neat, I know. I was simply looking for an adequate name for the project. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment